Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Balloon, A Barbie and 4 Quarters

Today it Lucy's birthday (more about that in another post). Last night I went with the kids so they could each get her something. I did it mostly for Bella so she could physically give Lucy something in hopes that she will learn to love and be kind to her. Anyway, while we were out I got a helium balloon for Lucy since they are just so cute with them - they pull the string - the balloon goes back up - they laugh - pull the string again - etc.

So we gave Lucy her balloon this morning and she thought it was great. A few hours later Bella was playing with it and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to smash a Barbie doll hand into the balloon. And, as you can imagine, the balloon was the looser of this battle. The balloon got a rather large hole and lost all of its helium.

If we had even managed to make it through today before this occurred, I would have just let it go, but I had talked with Bella about how this special balloon wasn't for her but for Lucy and how she had gotten a special balloon on her birthday, etc. So I told Bella she was going to have to take her money and go get Lucy a new balloon. We got 4 quarters out of her piggy bank and in the car we went.

When we got to the store and while they were blowing up the balloon, Bella ran off around the corner near the front of the store. I could still see her and called her back. She didn't come of course, so after about 30 seconds I walked over to get her. Do you know what she had done? She had taken a quarter out of her purse, put it in the candy machine, turned the knob and had gotten a handful of little fish shaped sweet tarts and stuffed almost all of them into her mouth! I didn't even know she knew how the machines worked! I never buy my kids candy from them.

So, one quarter down, I have to give her another one so we can even buy the new balloon and just come home. And on the way home she cried because she didn't have any money any more and the lady took it all. This lesson didn't go well. At least Lucy had another balloon - for a few hours anyway!!!

2 comments:

Shar said...

Bella and Lucy will be the best of friends. . . someday soon. That Bella is a clever one, though---most really cute girls are!

Sara! said...

Oh, motherhood... I'm daily trying to figure out how to teach lessons, to no avail. Good try!