Monday, August 10, 2009

From the Beginning










I guess if I am going to try and do our summer justice I may as well start at the beginning of our travels...The kids and I took a trip to Bryce Canyon for a family reunion. My dad and sister Elise and her kids were there and we were so busy trying not to lose any kids and we don't have any pictures of the group of us - pitiful really. It was great to see the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.


My dad took Clark on a hike down into the canyon since I was really not up to a strenuous hike, so after the reunion was over and my dad and sis had to leave I decided to venture on a few 'walks' with the kids. That ended up being a little more than I bargained for. We went on a little hike outside the canyon to see this waterfall and cave. Clark had a great time and Bella did OK, until I was trying to take a picture inside the little cave - she was not interested. (see picture) But Clark had a great time and walked with his walking stick that he brought from home and had all shaved down with his pocket knife - he is becoming quite the scout.

Now the real adventure begins...we drove back into the canyon and I thought it would be fun to take a little walk along the rim of the canyon so we could just see it. I went inside the ranger station/gift shop and asked about a little walk and they said it was easy for kids, etc. Great. I jump on the little shuttle bus so they could drop us off at one point and we could walk around to the next and get back on. When I was getting off I asked the bus driver which direction to go to make sure the bus would get us at the next spot. He said either way, but he would recommend going to the next spot because then my walk would be all downhill. Great. So we stay on the bus and get off at the next spot and start our walk. What the little bus driver failed to mention was that this section was the LONGEST rim walk in the park. An hour later we finally get to the next spot. Here I am, the pregnant mom carrying my toddler UP and down this path - but wasn't it all downhill you ask? Overall the elevation did decrease, but there were many up and downs. Needless to say we were WORN OUT after that excursion. I gave Clark the camera to take pictures and he took enough to publish his own travel guide so I just posted one of the canyon here and our 'end' pictures.

2 comments:

Kirk and Aly said...

You poor girl! We've had many of those kind of hikes and adventures - where we are all crying by the end. Good memories though!

Kahanu said...

YOu poor thing! I remember the first hike we took our kids on-it almost became the last. I must agree with Alyson-I'm sure you will have good memories! Glad you guys had a fun trip!!